Wednesday, October 5, 2011

On Netflix

Netflix's technical prowess is pretty impressive.  They have literally thousands of movies available to watch instantly.  Their technology is so good that watching a movie on instant is actually faster than just getting up from my couch and putting a DVD in.  It's really increased my risk of getting a blood clot.



The instant watch feature is so widely used, it accounts for approximately 25% of all internet traffic in North America. That puts it in 2nd place for all causes of internet usage, and the number 1 cause for all internet traffic that doesn't include blonde high school drop-outs thinking that they're now just one lucky break away from starring in a major motion picture.

They're so efficient at streaming video it's actually gotten to the point where if it lags for five seconds, I suffer from an intense rage due to a sense of instant gratification entitlement that I've only known for a year but feel like I've known my whole life.  It's actually kind of romantic.

Netflix is so meticulous in their process that they've managed to create genres way beyond what I'd ever felt a need to know of in my life.  For twenty-some years I was limited by just a few categories like comedy, drama, horror and movies with those nice blonde girls I was talking about earlier.  But now, I have options of genres like "Swedish Serial Killer Movies With a Female Narrator" or "Critically Acclaimed Movies from the 70's That Would Have Received More Commercial Success If DeNiro Had Been in Them, But Are Still Worth a Watch".  And each category will have like twenty fucking movies.  Which is great, because I'm a big fan of those genres.

That being said, if they're so fucking smart then how come Rock-a-Doodle is in my Top 10 Picks for Nick?



Oh well.  I guess it's not like they divided up their instant and DVD services.  Or named something "Qwikster".

No comments: